Strong Businesses Make Strong Communities. Strong Communities Make Strong Businesses.
Whether you're a small business, large corporation, or a nonprofit, you can join the more than 400 local businesses and organizations that are making a difference through their workplace campaigns.
Benefits to Giving
There are several benefits to giving outside of the impact that happens on our community. Research shows that for companies that give charitable gifts and encourage their employees to do the same have the following benefits:
- Community Leadership. Creates a bond of interest between employer and employee; each knowing the other is working for the community’s best interest. Companies prosper in healthy communities and tend to stay and increase their employee base. Companies outside the area are more likely to invest in communities with a well-educated workforce, attractive and safe neighborhoods, a strong educational system, and social services that address and reduce health and human service needs.
- Corporate Recognition. Campaigns demonstrate to employees, customers, and the public at large that community service, impact, and leadership are a company priority. Companies that participate in campaigns are often recognized in events, media, marketing materials, and other platforms. Companies receive third-party recognition from United Way and other nonprofits and can also use campaign participation and results in their own internal and external communications such as websites, press releases, and annual reports.
- Easy Administration. Workplace campaigns are efficient and easy to administer. Payroll deduction is easy for employees and spreads giving throughout the year producing larger employee gifts.
- Improved Customer Relations and Loyalty. Market research shows that customers are more likely to purchase goods and services from companies that support their local community. Supporting nonprofit organizations and the community through the campaign shows that a company provides more than a product or service — it provides support for the local community as well — creating good community relations.
There are also great benefits for the employees that give charitably through their workplace. These benefits include:
- Education of the community around them. Campaign information about charitable organizations expands employees’ knowledge about their community.
- Enhanced Employee Relations. Running a campaign provides a way for employees to improve their community. Also, participation in a campaign committee or events can help develop teambuilding skills and boost morale as employees learn to set goals, work together, and achieve positive results.
- Investment. Companies and their employees may be able to receive tax deductions and/or credits from charitable giving as well as enjoy the ease and convenience of payroll deduction.
- Satisfaction. Allowing employees to donate to an organization that addresses issues that are important to them provides greater employee satisfaction. For example, United Way provides many choices to employees through health, early childhood success, youth success, and economic mobility areas included on pledge forms as well as a variety of special local United Way community initiatives.
- Workforce Development. Running a campaign provides leadership opportunities for the campaign, committee, or event leaders as well as those aligned with affinity groups that empower employees to create new strategies to reach their networks.
Lastly, United Way Community Workplace Campaigns benefit the entire Lakeshore (Muskegon, Newaygo, and Oceana Counties). Workplace Campaigns result in:
- Education. In many cases, employees (and their friends and families) are unaware of the programs area organizations provide. Running a campaign provides an easy way to bring the community together, convey educational messages, and expose employees to resources they may have never known about.
- Expanded Outreach. The workplace provides new and expanded avenues for community outreach, making it easier for more employees to give and take an active part in vital community service activities.
- Increased Partnership. Employee campaigns encourage cooperation and collaboration among charitable organizations, as well as between companies and nonprofits. These partnerships help reduce duplication and build more meaningful community coalitions.
- Delivering Impact/ Getting Results. Funds raised during workplace campaigns go directly back to the community to improve lives.
- Service. Your employees will be able to tap into a wealth of year-round opportunities through our volunteer opportunities that benefit the community directly.
Join Us in Our Noble Cause!
Your colleagues care about many different causes. Partnering with United Way of the Lakeshore to facilitate a workplace giving campaign allows your colleagues to give to what they are most passionate about, while also knowing their workplace is committed to giving back.
United Way staff are available to help connect your team with the issues facing our local community and the individuals and organizations addressing them. Through campaign kickoffs, special events, pledging, and more – your colleagues can help us uplift local children and families.
Organizations of every size and industry can run a successful campaign. United Way makes it easy to give online and via payroll deduction, and has lots of campaign ideas to share! Your organization may also receive recognition for your involvement.
Let us help create a fun and easy way to meet your corporate social responsibility goals while building stronger teams, create a deeper connection to the community, and be recognized for your impact.
Ready to start planning your United Way campaign? Complete our Community Campaign Worksheet today!